Sunday 2 February 2014

Rocket Age: Radium fueled tales of interplanetary adventure

Back in November I wrote about Busy Times. Late last year I wrote the Reddit award winning Flower and then turned my writing attention from the child like Garden Realm to the dark and gritty place where the wants of the first world meet the needs of the developing world in Bandit Country.

At the same time I joined the hallowed fraternity of freelance writers and was fortunate enough to get an opportunity to write for Cubicle 7's Rocket Age. I look forward to posting more about the fruits of that labor when it completes publication. 

Busy Times are back because I have been supremely fortunate enough to be asked to write for Rocket Age again, this time as part of a collaborative episodic campaign. This is exciting beyond measure because Rocket Age is an excellent game with a strong sense of purpose and a steady hand on it's guiding principles.

My first encounter with written science fiction as a pre-teen was the Big Three of Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke but my visual experience was Starwars, Battlestar Galactica (original TV) and Flash Gordon. Quite a juxtaposition. 

My preference for written Science Fiction drifted through Gibson and Sterling's Cyberpunk to Ian Banks Culture Novels and Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos. My preference for Science Fiction visually and experientially has drifted back towards the roots. 

If you want a primer for everything that is awesome about Rocket Age, check out the Republic Pictures serials, short episodic films that preluded a feature film and primed the audience for the fun times ahead. They peaked from the mid to late 30's, the Rocket Age setting. Radar Men from the Moon is a great start.

Check out Rocket Age. Blast your jets into the deep, wide skies of opportunity. And keep a RAY gun strapped to your hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment